Thursday, June 18, 2015

Water spirit clouds ... 'ike papalua

"When I was a little girl my Aunty Lily showed me how to notice clouds. I have never stopped noticing. The sky and the clouds changed in a matter of minutes yesterday before sunset. Hoaka Moon.
Mo'o. lizard, reptile of any kind, dragon, serpent; water spirit
Mo'o hihia. series of difficulties, troubles
Hawaiian Dictionary, Pukui & Elbert

I noticed the lizard skin, mottled or perhaps breaking apart like the shedding of skin too small to contain the mo'o growing. As I watched I searched for the 'ike papalua the insight. The loss and grief, the difficulties and challenges. E ho mai i ka 'ike papalua. On the shoulders and backbone of my ancestors, and the gift given me as a little girl in Kuli'ou'ou Valley. The ao mo'o ... the clouds of the water spirit remind me to notice and listen with my whole body."

 To see more of the unfurling 'ike papalua (more cloud messages) click here.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Speak from the heart